So, I know I'm REALLY slow in posting our Christmas card. We weren't sure that we were even going to get them out this year. We did manage to get most of them sent off and emailed before Christmas to many of our friends and family, but know that we didn't get to everyone. So, here is our 2008 Christmas card and letter for those who have not seen it---and still want to read it.
Merry Christmas from the Shoemaker family,
I have found that the later at night I write these Christmas letters the funnier they turn out, or at least I think so.
What a year! The economy, the billion dollar bailout, the gas prices going up then down, house prices dropping, and, most importantly BYU’s Quest for Perfection gone amiss!
The only thing worse than the BYU football team not having a perfect season is Utah having one! The irony is completely sick and wrong! To make things even more twisted is approving a billion dollar bailout of our financial savvy bankers! Better yet, let’s bailout our even more genius automakers and their private jets! There’s an idea worth considering!
Hey, I don’t know about you, but as a teacher at the bottom of the pay scale I would gladly trade pocketbooks and paychecks with anyone in the banking or auto industries. What ever happened to our free market system here folks?
The good news in all of this gloom and doom for me is that I am a proud student of that undefeated, BCS bowl bound, now richer than ever school! The irony is quite sick isn’t it? I am currently pursuing a Masters degree in special education from that fine institution that wears red and beat my beloved Cougars this year! Yes, I confess I bleed red during the week and blue during the weekend, what can I say?
In fact, I recently broke down and confessed to my Bishop I was attending the University of Utah. I also explained my concern that the Utah BYU game is indeed a holy war and that the lack of Divine intervention was maybe a sign of unrighteousness on the part of BYU fans and possibly the Church as a whole. Come to find out, the Bishop himself, that old dog, is a University of Utah graduate! And he reminded me that our great Prophet himself is a Utah graduate! The Bishop also reassured me that the BYU Utah game was indeed not an act of God as I had supposed. Boy was that a load off my guilt-ridden chest!
[John always fails to mention some of the other highlights of his life, so let me⎯Shasta⎯ fill you in. John continues to teach the transition-aged special education students (18-22) at *****. John is now a tenured teacher and a cooperating teacher with BYU and ***** School District this year as well. On top of all of this, he still keeps up with the demands of a Master’s, being our ward’s Ward Mission Leader and a needy wife and three playful kids. As a wise man (or should I say animated animal) once said, “There is no price for awesomeness, or for attractiveness.” And that definitely describes my husband, awesome and attractive!]
Anyway, Shasta and the kids are doing great! Shasta is a stay at home mother of our three kids and keeps our private jet busy with recent trips to Disneyland and to Washington. Although next time we visit Washington we are considering driving our more fuel-efficient car, we’ll see.
Shasta was also awarded “Mother of the Month” here in *****! She got her picture taken with the Mayor and the picture and a nice article about Shasta and our family was run in the local paper! We’re freakin’ famous around here! I framed it and have it mounted on our front door if you’d like to stop by and see it anytime.
Besides Shasta’s recent local fame, Mckenzie (6) was awarded student of the month again this year! That is two years running for those who are counting! Mckenzie has also participated on a soccer team, dance, and gymnastics. Mckenzie also loves horses. In fact, while we were in Washington, Mckenzie asked for a “horse bailout.” Where do kids get these kinds of ideas anyway!
Sterling (4) asked Santa for a computer and printer of his own this year. Unfortunately his bailout plan failed, but he is revising it and is hoping to have it to Santa soon. Sterling is also attending preschool, which is offered through the ****** High School. Sterling loves it because he and daddy go to the same school now.
Tyson (1.5) is a reckless, insensible, careless, irresponsible, child. As long as he gets everything he wants he’s actually quit happy and fun to be around. After doing some research on eighteen month-olds, he’s actually pretty normal. The doctor said to expect that this same sort of “normal” behavior pattern to be expected of eighteen year-olds also! Humm? Working at the high school I, myself, have yet to witnessed a reckless, insensible, careless, irresponsible eighteen year-old in all my years! And I certainly was not one!
Anyway, Tyson is also similar to his eighteen year-old counterparts in that he loves cars, trucks, balls, and of course food! Tyson often will drive his cars or trucks around and says “vroom, vroom”, and roar! Tyson has also mastered the sign “more” as he has associated that will more food being put on this plate at mealtime. If it is really survival of the fittest, Tyson will be just fine. Tyson has also “attempted” to drink out of the milk carton himself. That was fun to watch! Who says young children cannot learn sophisticated things given proper training from their mother!
Anyway, the later it gets the gigglier I get, so Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and good night to all!
Love,
The Famous Shoemaker Family
Note from the editor: We do not own a private jet, we have not been to Washington, and as far as I know ***** does not have a local paper. And by the way, I do not drink from the milk carton!!

2 comments:
Well I am glad to hear that John is finally coming over to the red side of Utah. You know it was a great season, and even you had to enjoy watching them kill Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
Thanks for the Christmas letter, it was a great laugh. We look forward to reading it every year. We should get together sometime before we move to Atlanta.
Great letter! It sounds like you are having fun.
Post a Comment